I am a Painter and Printmaker born in North London. The capital’s open spaces inspire much of my artwork. I have a particular affinity to landscape art and have been influenced by the wild and natural environment. A love of watercolour has motivated me to take texture and tonal contrast to my etching process; this brings a traditional structure and fluidity to my work.
I studied for a B.A. in Fine Art at the Chelsea School of Art in the late sixties. Fortunate to be tutored by inspirational artists such as John Hoyland RA and Norman Blamey RA, I developed a real enthusiasm for painting and design. After completing a teaching diploma at London University, I returned to Chelsea to earn an MA in Fine Art, specialising in surface design and experimental screen printing. These formative experiences influenced my early career and I was awarded the Society for Industrial Designers Award for my work and designed for the Ulster Print Company and Blackstaff.
I taught Art for over 35 years at Westminster Kingsway College. Tutoring all levels in drawing and painting and making many friends along the way, I loved sharing my energy for the artistic process.
More recently I have developed a passion for printmaking and etching in particular. Inspired by the local landscapes of Highgate Wood, Alexandra Palace and Hampstead Heath and further afield by the French Pyrenees and the African Savannah. I have been an active member of EFOA, enjoying the artistic collaboration and grateful for being part of such a vibrant Art community.
- 2023- October-November Elvina John Etchings and Paintings @ Cote Muswell Hill N10
- 2023- East Finchley Open Artists - Open House & Studio
- 2019 -March, 2019 Primavera, Barbican Library Gallery, The Barbican, London, EC2
- 2018 - East Finchley Open Artists - Open House & Studio
- 2017 - 'Reflections', EFO Artists. Ply Gallery, Crouch End.
- 2017 East Finchley Open Houses and Studios
- 2016 - 'Breaking Boundaries', EFO Artists, The Original Gallery, London.
- 2016 -East Finchley Open Houses and Studios
- 2016 -EFO artists group, Hornsey Library, London
- 2015 -EFO artists group, Hornsey Library, London
- 2014 -Splashes, Wisps and Fragments, The Original Gallery, London, N8